From Hollywood to Nollywood, from British cinema to American television, and from much-loved comedies to the most moving of dramas, black stars have lit up our screens and inspired all of our imaginations.
This BFI Compendium uncovers the history of these great black stars of film and television, exploring a legacy that stretches from the long-forgotten figures of the early years of cinema to the global megastars of today, and from the ongoing fight against racism and the prejudice to the flash bulbs of the red carpet – the story of the black star.
160 pages of lavishly illustrated essays, including:
- Who’s the man? Black Masculinity and Stardom by Steven W. Thrasher
- Burning Illusions: Black British Film Stardom by Ashley Clark
- Dark and Lovely: Black Star Beauty by Tega Okiti
- All Eyes on Them: Hip-Hop Film Stars by Jacqueline Springer
- The Persistence of the Stereotype by James Baldwin with Horace Ove
- Music Star. Movie Star. Super Star? by Arthur Knight Sisters Act:
- Black Women in Hollywood by Mia Mask
Edited by James Bell
|Original publication date||17/10/2016|
|Number of pages||180|