This guide examines the changes in male roles over the past thirty years, and how these changes have been explored in cinema. It includes frameworks for teaching the topic, and accessible explanations of the cultural and critical background to changes in male roles. The book provides in-depth film case studies that explore the changes and challenges to masculinity in the 21st century, along with models for independent study. Throughout the book there are links to student-friendly worksheets that are available for teachers to download from the website.
· Schemes of work that fit with established exam specifications;
· Critical and cultural context: the impact of feminism, the 'crisis in masculinity', and 'mytho-poetic' male roles;
· Theoretical context: Feminist and Queer film theory, and ideas about the 'Male Gaze'
· Detailed analyses of focus scenes in 'Fight Club' and 'Y Tu Mama Tambien';
· Focus on director Todd Haynes
PLEASE NOTE THE LOGIN PAGE FOR THE DOWNLOADABLE RESOURCES HAVE CHANGED: Teaching Men and Film Resources
|Original publication date||2005|
|Number of pages||88|