Released to mark the centenary of Bergman's birth
Ingmar Bergman puts his indelible stamp on Mozart’s exquisite opera in this sublime rendering of one of the composer’s best-loved works: a celebration of love, forgiveness, and the brotherhood of man.
The Magic Flute (Trollflöjten) stars Josef Köstlinger as Tamino, the young man determined to rescue a beautiful princess from the clutches of parental evil.
The BFI is proud to present this film from one of the world’s most acclaimed directors, available for the first time on Blu-ray.
• Presented in High Definition and Standard Definition
• Papageno (1935, 11 mins): Lotte Reiniger’s enchanting silhouette-animation inspired by Mozart’s opera
• In Mozart’s Footsteps (1938, 11 mins): a fascinating post-Anschluss travelogue by roving aristocrat Lady Dunn
• On Such a Night (1955, 37 mins): the colourful adventures of an American Opera buff on his first visit to Glyndebourne, directed by Anthony Asquith
• Illustrated booklet with new writing by Sameer Rahim and Vic Pratt and full film credits